Dr. Ryan S. Saxe has the honor of serving as Superintendent of Cabell County Schools. Since July 1, 2017 he has led the third largest district in the state, with more than 2,000 employees and approximately 13,000 students attending 26 schools over 150 square miles of Appalachian terrain.
Under his direction, the school district has been recognized statewide as a frontrunner in education innovation, school finance, and leadership development. Due in large part to this position of strength, the district achieved successful passage of an excess levy which provides $24.1 million dollars annually to the district’s budget; secured passage of an $87.5-million-dollar bond issue for school construction and renovation (the largest in state history); and was awarded an A+ rating by Standard & Poor’s Global Ratings because of “good financial management and strong reserve balances.”
Cabell County Schools students receive world-class instruction from an expert teaching staff while also benefitting from Innovative approaches to supporting their social, emotional and physical well-being.
Superintendent Saxe prioritized financial resources, purchasing student devices and moving the district to 1:1 for the first time in its history; provided a school counselor for every building; hired twelve social workers to address unique student needs; and employed a district clinical psychologist.
Addressing students’ physical well-being, Dr. Saxe also allocated significant district funding to allow for full participation in the USDA’s Community Eligibility Provision. Since 2017, that program has allowed free meals to be served daily to all Cabell County children.
Of the district’s accomplishments during his tenure, Dr. Saxe is most proud of steadily increasing indicators of student success:
- Between 2018 and 2019, the special education graduation rate increased by nine percentage points.
- Cabell County’s graduation rate increased to 90% for 2020.
- Career and Technical Education program offerings have been greatly expanded, allowing more students to be introduced to potential careers.
Dr. Saxe is a Cabell County native and a graduate of Cabell Midland High School (Class of 2000). He earned an Associate of Science Degree from The Ohio State University, a Bachelor of Science in Agriculture and Environmental Education from West Virginia University, a Master of Arts in Educational Leadership from Marshall University, an Education Specialist Degree in Educational Leadership and a Doctorate in Educational Leadership from Liberty University.
Before becoming the district’s Superintendent, Dr. Saxe served in leadership roles with Lincoln County Schools, the West Virginia Department of Education, and the School District of Manatee County, Florida. He is also proud to play a role in the following organizations:
- Appointee, West Virginia Council for Educational Opportunity (Appointed by Governor Jim Justice), 2020-present
- Executive Committee Member, West Virginia School Superintendents’ Association. 2020-present
- Member, Marshall University College of Education Program Expansion Task Force, 2020-present
- Board Member, Huntington Museum of Art. 2017-present
- Board Member, TEAM for WV Children. 2018 - present
- Board Member, Huntington Area Development Council (HADCO), 2017-present
- Member, Huntington Rotary Club, 2017-present
Dr. Saxe has been recognized for his work by the following organizations:
- Kappa Delta PI - International Honor Society in Education, 2020
- The Ohio State University Young Professional Alumni Award. 2016
Dr. Ryan S. Saxe, Superintendent