Types of Leave
Forms for each of the leaves listed below can be found under the Professional Personnel Forms section.
1. *Short -Term: Short Term is a minimum of one (1) work day and a maximum of forty-nine (49) workdays. The superintendent or his/her designee shall have the authority to grant the leave. All employees are eligible to request a short term leave and the employees shall be allowed to return to their assigned positions. The request for a short term leave must be made ten (10) workdays prior to the effective dates of the leave. Cabell County Policy 3430.06;4430.06
2. *Long-Term: Long Term Leave of Absence is a minimum of fifty (50) work days and up to the maximum number of workdays in the employee's employment term. The superintendent or his/her designee shall have the authority to grant the leave. Any employee granted a long-term leave of absence shall be reemployed in the same assignment held prior to the leave, provided the leave does not exceed one year. The request for the long-term leave must be made thirty (30) workdays prior to the effective date of the leave. Cabell County Policy 3430.05;4430.05
*Reasons for the Short-Term/Long-Term request:
- Illness- a health care provider statement is required
- Improvement of Job-Related Skills- a copy of the course of study/syllabus is required
- Child Care- other employment during the leave is not allowed- *Only available with SHORT TERM leave.
- To serve in the Armed Services- a copy of the military order is required
- Emergency- written documentation is required
- Non-school related activity that is of value to the employee
- Employees with ten years of continuous employment may obtain a maximum of one (1) year leave of absence for any reason.
3. Extended: For pregnancy, childbirth, or adoptive/infant bonding. Cabell County Policy 3430.04; 4430.04
4. Parental: For employees who have worked at least 12 consecutive weeks in a full time position. This leave provides up to 12 weeks of leave (after exhausting all annual and personal leave) due to birth or adoption of child; care for employee's child, spouse, parent or dependent who has a serious health condition in which documentation from a health care provider is required. **EMPLOYEE MUST COMPLETE THE PARENTAL LEAVE FORM WHEN REQUESTING THIS TYPE OF LEAVE. THE PARENTAL LEAVE FORM DOCUMENT MUST BE RECEIVED BY THE PERSONNEL OFFICE IN ORDER TO OBTAIN BOARD APPROVAL Cabell County Policy 3430.03;4430.03
5. Military: Reserves/Call to Service; Must provide copy of military orders. Cabell County Policy 3437;4437
6. Family Medical Leave (FMLA): Up to 12 weeks of paid (if employee has earned/accrued) or unpaid leave to an employee who has worked for the Board at least 12 months and at least 1,250 hours due to birth/care of newborn child, adoption/care, employee providing care for spouse, child, parent with a serious health condition, or the employee's own serious health condition makes him/her unable to perform the functions of his/her position. ** EMPLOYEE MUST COMPLETE THE FMLA FORM WHEN REQUESTING THIS TYPE OF LEAVE. THE FMLA DOCUMENT MUST BE RECEIVED BY THE PERSONNEL OFFICE IN ORDER TO OBTAIN BOARD APPROVAL. Cabell County Policy 3430.01;4430.01
7. Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA):
The Families First Coronavirus Act requires certain employers to provide their employees with Emergency Paid Sick Leave and Expanded Family Medical Leave for specified reasons related to COVID-19 through December 31, 2020. For a detailed description of FFCRA, please refer to https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/pandemic/ffcra-employee-paid-leave
. Employees must complete the FFFCR form when requesting this type of leave, providing a statement from their health care provider.