Holderby Elementary (Seeking photo donations)
If you have a photo to share, please contact Jedd Flowers at firstname.lastname@example.org or Shanna Sims at
In 1891, a building of 8 rooms was erected on the corner of 6th Avenue & 20th Street, Huntington, WV.
This building was named “Holderby School” in honor of one of the pioneer families of the city.
In 1899, this building as enlarged to 14 rooms.
The source for this information is:
Valerie Crook who sites her source as:
History of Education in West Virginia
Prepared under the direction of the State Superintendent of Free Schools
1904, Charleston: The Tribune Printing Company
Holderby School located at 620 20th Street, Huntington, WV, taught grades 1-3.
In 1955-56 there were 73 students enrolled.
In 1957-58 there were 54 students.
This school was not listed in the 1960-61 Directory.
This information was obtained from: “Directory Cabell County Public Schools”, 1955-1956 and 1957-1958 was a loan from John Hanna, Principal at Southside Elementary.
“Directory Cabell County Public Schools”, 1960-1961. A loan from Mike O’Dell, Assistant Superintendent/Operations