In 1888, a modern 10 rooms, office and basement, was erected on the corner of 5th Avenue & 13th Street, Huntington, WV, taught grades 1-6.
This building was called “Oley School” in honor of General John N. Oley.
In 1900, the building was enlarged to 12 rooms located at 1325 5th Avenue, Huntington, WV.
The source for this information is:
Valerie Crook who sites her source as:
History of Education in West Virginia
Prepared under the direction of the State Superintendent of Free Schools
1904, Charleston: The Tribune Printing Company
Oley Elementary in 1955-56 had 332 students enrolled.
In 1957-58 there were 295 students.
In 1960-61 there were 243 students.
This information was obtained from: “Directory Cabell County Public Schools”, 1955-1956 and 1957-1958 was a loan from John Hanna, Principal at Southside Elementary.
“Directory Cabell County Public Schools”, 1960-1961. A loan from Mike O’Dell, Assistant Superintendent/Operations